Thursday, January 21, 2010

Baby Lucy... update

Well, I don't have any new pictures right now. Maybe I'll make that my goal for tomorrow! However, I wanted to journal about my Dr. appt on Monday before I forget. It was my first appointment with my OBGYN in Eugene and I really like her. She came highly recommended, but I was concerned whether or not she would listen to me and really consider my situation and WHY I thought it is best for the baby AND I that I be induced early. My previous OB and I had agreed on this, but as he would not be delivering Lucy, I had to start all over again. This Dr. is so knowledgable, but also totally listened to me and acknowledged that I was coming with an informed opinion, that is also medically sound (as far as we know so far).

[Jackson, birth 7lb. 10oz.]
[Jackson, day 2]

[Jackson, day 4]

[Jackson, 1 week]

Jackson was born 9 days before his due date and weighed 7lb 10oz. As far as I could tell, labor and delivery went well and we were both completely healthy... no complications. Kate was born 6 days past her due date and weighed 9lb 2oz. Without getting too detailed, recovery was much worse (though after talking to other people, my recoveries have been a breeze... but for me, it was definitely more painful). In addition, Kate suffered shoulder dystocia. Luckily, we were being watched over and Kate was totally fine, but after doing some homework, I have found that it could have been an awful experience for Baby Kate, including paralysis, cerebral palsy, or worse.

[Kate, birth]

[Kate, birth 9 lb. 2 oz.]

[Kate, day 2]

[Jackson meets Kate]

Obviously, I don't want to chance this again and now I am aware that this is a possibility. Now the only way to completely avoid shoulder dystocia is to deliver the baby via c-section... don't want to do that if I don't have to for lots of obvious reasons (yucky painful and longer recovery, consequent c-sections and more yucky recoveries, etc and hello! I have other kids at home) The two main causes of shoulder dystocia are the bone structure of the mother (pubic bone) and a baby over 9 lbs. Both can make it difficult for baby's shoulders to make it through "smoothly". Since in my case the bone structure doesn't seem to be a problem... it would be the 9lb 2oz baby. So, being induced before the baby gets so big = avoiding shoulder dystocia.

[Kate, 1 week]

[Kate, 12 days, 10 lbs.]

Okay, that was a long explanation, so here's the summary. I'm almost 33 weeks completed (will be Saturday). At 37 weeks, I'll go in for an ultrasound to determine Baby Lucy's weight. Right now she is measuring very big. Depending on her weight, we will consider doing an amniocentesis (which I've never done) to determine how developed her lungs, in particular, are. If everything looks good and she's huge, I'll be induced between 37-38 weeks (which would be sometime between Feb 20 - March 5th) . If not, I'll be induced at 39 weeks (which would be about March 6th). We'll see what happens. I will admit I'm physically getting a little more uncomfortable each day, but enjoying my two little ones so much right now and not feeling as overly anxious for labor and delivery as I was for Jackson and Kate. However, I'm anxious for that ultrasound and so grateful to have a Dr. who seems to listen and care. I can hardly wait to meet our little Baby Lucy and to see how the dynamics in our little family will change with her around. I am so curious to get to know her personality and see what she'll think of her older brother and sister.

Anyway, it's getting late, but I wanted to record this for myself (because my memory isn't what it used to be... my kids seem to be sucking my memory out of me). I hope to post some new pictures soon. We will be moving from temporary housing into a rental (until we can find a home to purchase that meets our needs and fits into our budget) in a week... this will be MOVE #11 (we'll be married 4-1/2 years at the end of February). But I'm excited and hope Heavenly Father keeps blessing me with the energy that I need to keep up with everything!

4 comments:

Arya said...

I am glad your move went well and that you found a good OB in Eugene...William was born in Springfield and my sister is thinking of moving down to Eugene this summer. I have fond memories of that area.

Hope everything goes well, miss you!

Dana Scarbrough said...

I am definately glad that you found a good OB that's listening! I know from experience that sometimes early inducing is the BEST option- also, sometimes C-section is the best option for that situation, and so forth. Glad you found what you're looking for, and I wouldn't worry about the amnio too much! =)

Erica Bazil said...

Holy cow - look at baby Kate on the scale and at 12 days old - she's a monster (I mean that in a very sweet way - she's such a cute monster)! Yes, I hope your delivery, etc. is a little easier than it was with her. It's so cute to see your kids' baby pix. I can so totally see they haven't changed that much. I have to admit I was scared when I first pulled up your blog and saw a picture of a newborn. I immediately thought - oh no she's had this baby so early - I hope all is well. So glad little Lucy is still cooking. So good to catch up this way. Talk to you later!

The Perry Family said...

Hey Ussery Fam! I enjoyed getting caught up on your blog! I don't know how I missed that you are pregnant and now in Eugene! Am I that out of the loop on things? Congrats and we're sorry to see you move so far away! La Grande still misses you!!!